The Ex-Chippy School Pages
Cotswold Buildings Activity Group
Dunstan House, built as the residence of William Bliss. Visited on this occasion by the "Cotswold Buildings" activity group. Activity groups were tried in the school year 1973/4 and were unusual in that groups contained pupils from the first 3 years mixed together. Presumably the idea was not a success, as it was not continued.
The Cotswold Buildings group was run by history teacher Robert Evans. The picture shows the front door of Dunstan House, recently vacated by its last remaining tenants. The house was demolished in 1978. The present day location is in Dunstan Avenue, opposite the Baptist Church.
Pupils visible are (from left): The late Philip Viner, Joe Johnson(?), rest unknown.
Photo: John Mann, Free Film Service own brand transparency.
Purely for comparison, this
photo taken about 1869 shows William Bliss II (at top of steps) outside
Dunstan House. The house had no name in those days, as the home of the
town's most prominent citizen, "Mr Bliss's House" would have
been sufficient identification! On the horse is his duaghter, Miss Esther
Elizabeth Bliss. The man holding the horse could be her future husband
Henry Burrows or her brother William Bliss III.
Thanks to Tom Bliss of the Bliss Family History Magazine for the information.
More 1973 Pictures >>>>>