The Ex-Chippy School Pages
The Grammar School in 1827
The cottage at the bottom of Church Street on the corner is part of the old Grammar School.
The house next door has had a new front and internal reconstruction at the front of the house, but the rest of the house and the back have not been changed. The windows at the back show where the vertical iron bars were once fitted (presumably to prevent pupils from escaping at night).
The house two houses further up the street has also been entirely re-fronted, but apart from that the interior and back of the house are unchanged. There is a wall painting or mural depicting a rising sun with the motto "Risit Apollo" in their kitchen, which has survived from the old school.
The Grammar School premises that formerly extended along the south side of the churchyard have been demolished and replaced by the present Parish Rooms.